CatholicAuthor is a movement to create popular fiction informed by our faith, not to be pushy or preachy, but to fascinate and subcreate.
We see 4 kinds of authors out there. All are good. But we have a special focus.
- Imprimati: These writers are all about ‘imprimaturs.’ They are concerned about questions like: Is my writing ‘safe’? Is it correct? They’re all about preaching to the choir. We need that – good content that affirms a faith-based lifestyle and outlook. But the focus on compelling fiction for general audiences can come secondary.
- Literati: This group wants to excel and cultivate great works, new classics. Deep and rich and enduring pieces of art that bloom from thought and life and introspection. This kind of content often requires maturity and appreciation of excellence on the reader’s part, to earn a connection. It’s not meant to be generally accessible – and that’s ok.
- Creati: These writers aren’t interested in faith-inspired fiction. They’re not necessarily against it. It’s just not their intention. Their faith is a label, not a lens or a lifeline. It doesn’t really want it to permeate or inform their creativity. They’re all about freedom. It’s completely valid. But it may run the risk of not offering deeper outlooks and insights.
- Populati: These authors are all about pop fiction, writing popular themes and tropes. The goal is to resonate with whats popular in modern culture, dramatising the pulse of the present. These are interested in how we can renew the talking points of our Catholic faith through what’s top of mind with our own cultures. This style of fiction is faith-inspired, and of varying shades of excellence. The goal is to fascinate, first and foremost. This kind may not have deep understanding of the faith.
CatholicAuthor is different.
We’re not here to write for the choir. We want to write popular fiction – fantasy, science fiction, historical, and across many genres, for all kinds of readers. We deeply love and live our Catholic faith, and realize that it challenges us as much as it comforts.
- We’re not here to help fill our shelves with more ‘Catholic’ fiction.
- We’re not here to create more ‘safe’ stories, to affirm a cultural lifestyle.
- We don’t believe everything should be family-focused.
We have a paradoxical purpose.
CatholicAuthor exists to help authors stop writing bluntly Catholic fiction.
CatholicAuthor exists to help authors write fiction. Fiction that fascinates, with real characters, rich worldbuilding, and inventive, riveting ideas.
All the kinds of things people want when they pick up a story anthology or a novel!
Our craft is inspired by our creed, but it is craft first. We are grounded and pulled by our sacramental embrace of everything God reveals through his creation. Everything.
We are exploding the silly idea that ‘Catholic’ is another label, another ‘us vs them’ mindset. Being Catholic is a relationship with all of reality.
We’re on a different mission. We’re not interested in building bastions of culture. We want to raze the bastions, and let the life out. We want our stories and novels to be read by all kinds of people, not just those who think like we do.
We’re here for the modern Catholic author, passionate about publishing or crafting compelling fiction, in the modern world.
We’re putting down our swords, and using our pens to bring people together. To enlighten, inspire, and share. Not to argue, or compel, or build walls.
We see writing fiction as a frontier, digging deeper and pushing higher than other stories. It’s a frontier that pushes into us as much as it presses outward. And that’s why it can also be a vocation, a life-path that teaches us to be better, more whole, and more aware human beings.
Here’s our crux, and why we’re here:
God is not in competition with his creation, but reveals himself through it. In every time, place, person, and culture. The role of a Catholic Author is to be the weaver of re-wilded enchantment in an age of greyed boredom and dulled meaning. To walk the wilds of truth, beauty, and goodness.
Sound like you?
Read through the free course ‘How to Be a Catholic Author.’ It changed our lives. Maybe it will change yours.
And then, join us.
We have come from God and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God.
Meet your Mentors
Starting with our founder, and more coming throughout the year!
Welcome to the most exciting journey in the world: being an author. And on top of that, being a Catholic author.
We are a fortunate few, filled with the creative call, passionate about folk and fields that no one else can see or hear.
But many of us live under a cloud of unease, unsure how to integrate our Faith with our fiction. Perhaps afraid to connect our witness with our worldbuilding. We have heard a call to explore a deep and challenging idea. To go on an inner adventure to find and fight dragons.
CatholicAuthor is the beginning of a new journey with Catholic fiction authors. We want to fill each other with confidence that you write almost anything you want to, go anywhere and tell any story you’re inspired to tell.
Our modern generations have different questions, different viewpoints, to the past. That’s why we should celebrate classical literature, but need more. A diet made up of the past blinds us to the present. A diet of only current ideas unroots us from ourselves.
The Catholic author sits on that thin line between past and present. We drink deep of the ancient past of Christian heritage and insight, and wrestle with the new themes and cultures of our current world.
We always circle a core idea; God is not in competition with his creation. In fact, he reveals himself through it. And since time exists within him, he acts across lives and aeons. We cultivate the longer vision, not the quick win.
Sound like you? That’s amazing. We can’t wait to meet you. Join us .
Dominic de Souza
A SmartCatholics Project
SmartCatholics is one of the fastest-growing communities to support Pope Francis, help Catholics regroup, and create resources to renew our hope. We’re free of trolls, ads, and toxicity. Together, we’re building the future of free, online, Catholic education.
This CatholicAuthor community is hosted inside SmartCatholics, and adheres to it’s vision and code of conduct. Learn more about SmartCatholics